The NEMO Center: a patient-centered approach
NEMO (NEuroMuscular Omnicentre) Clinical Center is a highly specialized Center devoted to take care of people affected with neuromuscular diseases, including Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and Muscular Dystrophies.
The general aim of the NEMO Center is to improve quality of life in caring for people, by guaranteeing a clinical and psychological support to patients and their families, taking into account the overall needs. The NEMO Clinical Center, a vital entity in the field, in the latest years proved to be a reproducible model. It is a unique model of healthcare since in addition to a multidisciplinary approach it is based on an idea of treatment that has as a main interest people and their needs.
All the focus in on the patient and his/her family.
The most frequent neuromuscular diseases represent a wide group of genetic or acquired pathologies involving muscle tissue, spinal cord, peripheral nerve or the neuromuscular junction. Neuromuscular diseases are a group of conditions that can develop in any moment of life, usually having a chronic-progressive course. These diseases may lead to different levels of disability which may affect movement, respiratory capability, communication, swallowing and cardiac function especially.
The NEMO is a referral point for patients of all ages and for their families across all stages of the disease’s progression. It guaranties a specialized service avoiding long and strenuous peregrinations at non-specialized structures, which are not familiar with severe levels of disability, especially throughout the advanced phase of the disease. This Center provides diagnostic and clinical care, clinical research, education and training. It is an important referral point for family physicians who have patients with neuromuscular diseases who need to be supported not only clinically but who need information information on the disease, counselling, and treatment indications.
All the clinical services provided by the NEMO Center are supplied by the National Health Service.
MissionHealth-care of people with neuromuscular disease, clinical research and therapeutic activities
VisionDefeating neuromuscular diseases
ValuesAttention to the patient considering the physical and psychological dimension; support for the family; competence and commitment
- Promoting clinical and rehabilitative therapies in order to improve quality of life for people with neuromuscular diseases through effective interventions. The aim of these actions is to limit damages/losses due to the reduced levels of mobility caused by the disease process (respiratory difficulties, scoliosis…)
- Clinical research
- Genetic counseling
- Assistance for the patient and for the family
- Activation of a local network in support of the patient and his family
- The concept of care has the focus on the person and his overall needs
- The multidisciplinary approach based on a multidisciplinary team "point-of-care" concept: all clinical specialties for the treatment are available at the patient’s bedside without the need of transferring for consultations.
- The total integration of the clinical pathways: the Center provides personalized care at all levels of care.
- The organization of care according to the patient’s age
- The global care: the fulfillment of a personalized project through the contact/relationship with necessary services
- The sharing of information and perspectives on the activities underway among health and administrative workers with the aim of going beyond the limits of the role and the personal competence.
- The care acceptance concept which occurs throughout the evolution of the disease, both for adulthood than childhood
- An operational and functioning example of horizontal subsidiarity: a successful project of synergy between public and private through a social inclusion policy.
- A tangible and virtuous response to an actual need that wouldn’t be otherwise satisfied. It represents a vital entity in the national field.